Friday, August 29, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POP'S

This blog is dedicated to my Father who turns 86 years old today. Happy Birthday from the Ukraine.
My sisters and I have always referred to him as "Pop's" He is my Pop, my loving friend, my inspiration, and my "Hero!" He is a man of his word, extremely loyal, and absolutely trustworthy. I always knew he would protect me and keep me safe. I have always believed that he is the wisest man I know. His undeniable intelligence is one thing he did not pass on to me. I can ask him a question about anything ie...World History, Art, English Literature, Mathematics, and he will give me the answer, whether it is correct I do not know...but I believe him! He is ridiculously generous with his money, time and knowledge. When you are in his presence you can not help but feel his gentle soul. He is well rounded-a forward thinking man who stands up for what he believes. He is not afraid to voice his opinion even in an arena where others may feel different. He has always stayed true to himself- this he did pass on to me. He taught me that each of us can make a difference, that in times of adversity one can find the strength within to swallow the darkness and move on. My Pop's grew up in an orphanage from the time he was 5 years old. Under the worst circumstances he found good in others who weren't always so nice, and made the best of what he had. He grew up with no "real" role models but despite that he is an amazing husband and father. He raised along with my Mother 4 loving daughters, all who would say that he is the most successful man they know. His success is reflected in the way his children feel about him. All of us would say he is our outstanding Pop's...our dear friend...our 'HERO"
I hope that one day I am as incredible of a parent to my child as he has been to me. Happy Birthday-I love you!

Now to Jess and I for a moment...yippee we are online for the first time in 24 hours. Apparently the apartment owner did not pay his bill. Glad it is rectified. Yesterday we braved the grocery store alone using our Ukrainian ATM card to pay. The strange thing about the grocery store is you are not allowed to carry anything in the store except for your purse. If you have any other belongings there are lockers to put them in. Our feet took us to downtown where we even ventured into shops. Today we visited an old Synagogue in the middle of Kiev. Jess put on a yarmulke and we were given permission inside to walk around. Once inside we both stood quietly and prayed. Neither of us told one another what we were praying about but my guess is it was for the same thing. Ordered my first latte without Sveta and the waitress brought me an espresso...good try! Returned home after the rain got in our way.
Our 2nd appointment is scheduled for 3pm on Monday...positive energy our way!

8 comments:

Moishale said...

Happy Birthday Pops!! Hope to meet you some day

That is so great that you guys are venturing out on your own and experiencing such an interesting culture. Our Hopes & prayers are with both of you for Monday.


Love
Cousin Robin, Scott, Joshua & Jarred

P.S. I like the 3 hr time difference I have. I get to read everything 1st!!!

Achmed the Dead Terrorist said...

Изображение славное женщины!!

Отсутствие убийства вы сегодня....

Anna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ED, MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!!

Nicole, I'm sure you made double sure that the latte, oops I mean expresso was DECAF. Could you imagine if it wasn't!!

Good old number 3, that's your number. Sending you lots of love and good eneregy for round 2. Monday, 3pm here we come!!!

Luv you guys,

Anna Browne

Mom W said...

The very happiest of birthdays to Ed he is a very lucky man with such a daughter as Nicole and I'm so blessed to have her as my friend and daughter n law and my Son Jess is the lucky guy who married her and in the process got a great 2nd set of moms and pops I being first sorry Ed and Sunny but you are second.

Love you lots

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Ed. I must say, I am very proud to be working on the art for your new book cover. It has been a real pleasure emailing you and Sunny while Jess and Nik are on their journey. It is so nice to hear such nice words from your daughter. I know I have always been very fond of you and Sunny since we met.

Jess and Nik, was nice catching up with you this morning. Sound like you are doing well and holding it together. My thoughts are with you envisioning good things on monday. Labor day here in the states, so I'm heading out for a nice long weekend on the boat with Karen. hope you both have a pleasant weekend.

xo
Jay

Lori "Stone" said...

Hi,

something GREAT happened today...Happy Birthday Ed, and we got to hear your voices!!! I miss you!

Enjoy the city this weekend, and good luck at 3pm on Monday!!

xoxo

Lori

elena said...

O.K. You have me sobbing!!! That salute to your dear dad was the MOST beautiful thing I've ever read. He is a man of great wisdom. HAPPY B'DAY ED!

Enjoy your weekend and I will keep you both in my prayers for Monday.

Much love,
e.

kathyS said...

Hi kids, its Kathy Sturkey at LARC RAnch - I have read all of your input and I have laughed and cryed with and for you. This is a wonderful, brave adventure and I know that the two of you are up for challenge. I pray for the two of you and for the one that will be your chld. Positive thoughts and prayers are going you way. Also happy labor day! Hope that is the charm!Love Kathy & Chuck Sturkey