Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Waiting

Active morning playing cards, cleaning our apartment, including sweeping and mopping the floors. Took a long walk to the SDA in the afternoon to see if our second appointment was posted. When we arrived there were several facilitators and people around. Some I am sure were there for their first appointments and others for the same reason we were. Jess and I both recognized people we had seen before. Our appointment is Monday but we do not have a time yet. We will know by the afternoon on Friday. I saw an Italian woman (who I saw the other day at the SDA) sitting on a bench waiting for her facilitator. I am sure she was waiting to hear about her second appointment too. As I watched her I imagined she must be feeling what I am. The uncertainty, and stress of the experience. Dreaming of her little one whom she does not know yet. Wishing and hoping that her second referral is the "one." Reaching to her limits to find the strength to wait more to continue to believe that it is all going to work out. I wanted her to look at me to see that she was not alone. I too am feeling the same way, in the moments that passed, both of us, her and I, trapped in our own worlds and feeling alone. I wish her all good things and that she is united soon with her child.
Sveta took off for a few days to her home town to visit with her child and husband. Before going we asked her to write down a few important things for us ie...decaf coffee, pizza with mushrooms and onions, and hot tea. That way we can venture out to this cute coffee house by our apartment and know what to ask for. We will be fine walking around the city since we have familiarized ourselves with it the last week and going to the grocery store will be a piece of cake. Chocolate is on isle 12!
The language barrier is the hard part. If we could understand the letters it would make it easier but the Cyrillic alphebet takes talent to decifer. The few Russian lessons I took have helped me a wee bit but not much. We do have Igor's aka..."Ricky Martin" phone number should we need a driver. I forgot to mention in the earlier blogs that Jesse named Igor, Ricky Martin. It took me some time to see it, but now I do. It is in the structure of his face and around his eyes. Of course Igor got a total kick out of it when we told him who he looked like. He does not speak or understand any English so it will be quite interesting for all of us if we need him.
Looking forward to a night alone with my hubby-

14 comments:

Moishale said...

You are both AWESOME! I am glad you have some quite time together. Rest & Relax

Love
Robin, Scott, Joshua & Jarred
the Dog, the cat, the fish, the turtles, the bearded dragons, the bunny...all with good wishes for both of you

Shaia said...

So happy that you have a date...Monday will be here before you know it :)!! Just keep yourselves as busy as possible. That's what we did while we were waiting. I'm glad that you posted the hot hairdresser...Achmed was beginning to scare me! Jess, you look very sexy as a blonde ;)!

Mom W said...

Have fun on your date knock yourselves out Momday is almost here also popday. I just had a big piece of german choc and vanilla cake ohmygod it was sooooogood I'm a bad girl but I'm a person first so thats it for now Dad says good luck in round 2. I have your picture on my screen so I can see you every day.

Love You

Big Ronn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

Ahhhhh. I've been thinking of you every day. I think about what time it is over there, and what you may be doing...
Ronn says you are adding four feet. He thinks your having the exact same experience, I have to say it is very, very similar :) We too waited about the same amount of time from when we first arrived, to our second appt. It(our second appointment) was about ten days from when we arrived in Ukraine. We too were picked up from the airport, and then taken to the market, out to dinner, and shown around. We went back out on our own to explore that first night. Your apartment sounds nicer though!
We were located very close to a park, walking just up the street to see the men playing chess, at all hours. I think that's one reason Ronn and I felt so safe, and wanted to venture out most evenings. All ages were in the parks, talking, walking. Not like here where everyone goes in to eat and watch tv.
We too had a loud, bit alarming thing happen, only in the middle of the night! At 12pm we were woken by hundreds of people walking the streets, shouting, blowing very loud horns, and making a sound we'd never heard before. They were cheering, the Ukrainan soccer team had won a big game. Fantastic.
My favorite restaurant was one in the park, maybe the same one. Only I ordered the strawberry crepes every chance I could, and asked if we could come back for breakfast, so I could eat some more. Called O'Hahac. Think that first letter is a P.
Luckily I had Ronn with me who could not speak Russian or Ukrainian, but he could read it, right away! Me, I walked around in Lala Land, feeling that it was all good, all ok and I had no more work to do. This will be true for you too, you'll see :) hug and a kiss.
I too, wanted to reach out to the woman sitting across from me, Italian, at the NAC, I was wanting to connect, give her that smile and eye contact, of "I understand", but it didn't happen.
When your month is up you will so appreciate that you live in America, where we are FREE, your beautiful big home, and all that we have. You will be glad you can go get a big Chinese chicken salad with a paradise iced tea (don't get me wrong, I loved the food, all of it)
This process takes time, but it's soooooooo worth it. Beyond words. You too will be rewarded for all the hard work and love you are putting out. Not every one has the guts to do it, be proud that you are that kind of person, and when you come home, you'll have fond wonderful memories of this wild ride!
take good care,

Dianne
PS If she hasn't taken you yet, make Sveta take you to the out door shopping place, like a giant swap meet. I loved seeing the Gypsies in their Colbalt blue scarves. I probably stared too long, but couldn't help it. Think I was one in a past life.

kiska-o said...

Thank you Dianne for all your wonderful comments for the rest of us who are waiting too and wishing we could be there to help Nicole and Jess! (It’s probably best we’re not! We’d all get it in our heads to storm the SDA and be thrown out of the country!) We can all think we understand what they are going through but you know first hand! May their result be as beautiful as yours and make all these days of emotion and endless paper trails worthwhile.
Keep on going guys! You’re on the path to parenthood.

Love, J

bird'smom said...

Thank you for your e-mail. I keep you in my thoughts and wish only the best for you..I wrote something a long time ago and want to share it with you. Hey, what can I say. you can take the girl out of the 60's but you can't take the 60's out of the girl.....
We are all children of this earth, and our needs are one. A smile speaks every language...a fear has no boundaries...and a touch is the same to every skin. Everywhere we search for happiness and love.....for someone to share our dreams and our lives. As the two become three, we are all a part of it. Somewhere a child is born...in the still of the night or the blaze of noon. With the welcome of open arms and two smiling faces...there is your child.
(Ok so I changed it a little) We are all with you.
Wendy

mom and dad said...

NICOLE AND JESSE,

LOVE YOU TODAY
LOVE YOU TOMORROW
LOVE YOU FRIDAY........AND ALL THE DAYS TO COME
SOME WILL BE GREAT, SOME NOT SO GREAT, BUT YOU HAVE EACH OTHER AND WILL COME OUT OF THIS EXPERIENCE KNOWING YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT AND LOVE OF MANY. GOOD THOUGHTS THAT MONDAY WILL BE A GREAT DAY.
MOMMASHANES AND DAD

Haley said...

Hey there...
Monday is around the corner... It will be here before you know it. I pray this is the round for you both. I miss you and love you guys...Great pictures!!! I like to see that you guys are having fun and visiting exciting places...Hope to talk to you soon :)

Kimberly said...

Monday will be here before you know it!!! I pray that this is your "round". My Love and Thoughts are always with you both. Great pictures!!!

Relax and enjoy each other. I hope that one day I can find the love that you have for each other. You are the most AMAZING HUMAN BEINGS I HAVE EVER MET.


Kimberly

elena said...

I know the wait must be excruciating, but I'm happy to hear you guys are enjoying your temporary home. It sounds like the people are very welcoming (but of course you guys have such a good vibe, how could they not be). I will miss your reports over the weekend, but look forward to next week. Stay positively fabulous!

e.

gaby said...

dear little sis and bro

Thinking of you guys at this moment...actually many moments throughout the day. Wanted to let you know that in planning dad's 86 birthday, I can't help but feel a sense of joy and anticipation as he looks forward to a new year filled with some much hope and promise because of what YOU TWO ARE ABOUT TO ACCOMPLISH. I hope you know how proud we all are of you both and that your journey is foremost in our thoughts.

love to you both
g

Jaena said...

I have all of the stepford wives in Highlands Ranch, Colorado Believing in 3! This will happen soon, i just know it!

Love,
Jaena

Shelley Gibson said...

Nic and Jess -
What a journey. I think of you often, hoping things are coming your way and you are taking in, all of the culture and sights. Soon, all of this waiting will be a thing of the past and the joy you feel as parents will erase this bumpy road you are traveling. Enjoy your time together this weekend. Love Shelley
PS - Nic, I see a novel in your future. What a fabulous writer you are, girl!!!