Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ukrainian Independence day

We were awaken by the loud noise of military tanks. Sveta came into our room and said hurry look out the window. Both Jess and I grabbed our camera's and began to take photos.
It was as if we were stuck in a World War 11 movie and could not get out. First it was military tanks, then it was military vehicles parading on our street carrying missiles, rocket launchers, and other equipment that I do not have a name for. I was scared and figured we would stay inside for the whole day. Sveta phoned her husband and he said that he thought it would be safe if we went to a particular place. Fear set in for me, here we are in a foreign country, and I was not sure how safe it was to be an American. With much resistance I ended up taking to the streets with Jess and Sveta. For miles the streets were blocked off to all traffic, and there was security on all corners. Children and families were in masses, women and men alike drinking beers as they walked through the crowds, people dressed in costumes, and thousands holding the Ukrainian flag. We walked for miles soaking in the history and culture. It was wonderful to watch the Ukrainian people celebrate this event with great pride. Ukraine gained their independence in 1991.
Tomorrow we will write our rejection letter to the State Dept, not sure what it entails, but Sveta will help us. Unfortunately for us tomorrow is also a holiday and so we will not be able to submit our paperwork until Tuesday. We are told that our second appointment should be next week sometime. Holding on to hope and believing everything works out the way it is supposed to.

Ukrainian tid-bits
Married people wear their wedding rings on their right hand, unless they are of the Baptist religion or widowed.
You can not roll an empty stroller- it must have something in it.
Before you marry- if you cook and burn your food you will marry a man with dark hair, if you cook and your food is raw you will marry a man with blond hair.
It is common for a mother to breast feed her child until the child is 3 years of age.
It is common for girls to hold hands all the time.

7 comments:

kiska-o said...

Go with the flow girl! They are people just like us and so just embrace it! Someday you will take Kiska-o back to visit her/his homeland and will say "I remember the Independence Day celebartion in 2008!"

I hope you are taking lots and lots of pictures!

And yes...August 25th should be a holiday...so embrace that too!

Love,J

Mom W said...

Glad your ok and out and about.Thinking of you all the time and praying. Hope you get a good old picture I can try to paint. Well gotta make dinner soon its 4:51pm. Keep the faith.

Love you

gaby said...

dear little sis and bro

Thinking of you guys all the time and trying to imagine what it must be like to be living what we can only read about. Everyone that knows your story asks me constantly how you are and what new info can I deliver about your journey. Everyone, and I mean everyone, from my kids, to my staff, to my friends share an overwhelming emotion of positive thoughts, energy and prayers when it comes to you both. We all believe in 3 and know that when the time is right so it will be.
love you
g

Haley said...

Hi - Sorry I was not around today. We had a work party at the Queen Mary. Jim and I decided to make a weekend out of it. We spent Sunday at the Aquarium of the Pacific and then hung out in Long Beach. It made me remember when we went there on the boat...
Glad it was a celebration and nothing else.... I miss and love you and really wish you were home!
Good Luck this week - I am praying for you both!
Haley

Alli B. said...

Thinking of you both and with all my heart I am praying that this is the week for you. It feels like this might be, you know that little feeling (we get) Had a great Sunday with Mom and Dad wish you were there but it's all good! Hang in there and everything will as it should.

Love,
Alli B

Snordo said...

Sorry to hear about the tough time last week, Martha and I had tears thinking about what it must have been like. I would have written sooner but I have had major computer problems at home (had to restore the harddrive 4 times!) and Shane was extremely sick and wouldn't eat or drink for 4 days. Computer is back up and Shane is slowly regaining strength and actually had a few bites of soup last night and had a some juice.

Medical problems that are correctable are stressful, I couldn't even imagine having to deal with a lifelong issue because it becomes so emotionally draining when the one you care for isn't feeling well or is hurt.

Good luck this week :)

Gregg, Martha and Shane

Achmed the Dead Terrorist said...

Silence!!!